How to Join SSI
Hello! There are a few things you need to do if you'd like to have full access to SSI's resources as a member. :-)
Becoming an official member
- Join the SSI Slack here.
- Join the SSI mailing list here.
Pay dues ($10 in exchange for a t-shirt) to our financial officers via Venmo [redacted]. For questions/details or if dues present a financial hardship, message the Co-Presidents or Financial Officers and we'll waive them. See Leadership.Canceled due to COVID!
- In order to allow you access to our workspace, End Station III, you need to do the following things:
- Log into AXESS and click "STARS" at the top
- Using either the "All Learning" list, or the Search Catalog, complete the following three safety trainings:
- EHS-4200: General Safety, Injury Prevention (IIPP), and Emergency Preparedness
- EHS-1900: Chemical Safety for Laboratories
- EHS-2200: Compressed Gas Safety
- EHS-2470: COVID-19 Hygiene Best Practices
- If you've completed any of these previously for a laboratory class or other university purpose, you don't need to repeat them.
- Attend a safety tour of ES3. Ask in
#welcome-to-ssito coordinate a time.
- Due to these uNpReCeDeNtED times, we're also asking all members to fill out this form agreeing to abide by our COVID Operating Procedures.
- Take a look at Approaching SSI, a handbook for new (and prospective) members!
Slack is the lifeblood of SSI. It is a messaging client that allows everyone within SSI to communicate. There are general channels (like
#rockets ), which allow us to push out general updates to everyone interested in the rockets team and direct messages which allows one to one or smaller group communication. Notifications are pushed directly to your phone/computer/anything that has internet so that way we can infringe on all of your free time!
To see what a list of what channels there are to join, check out the Slack Directory.
Home to all of our events across all our teams.
Find out who's in charge of things you're interested in and contact them! You can find all of us on Slack as well.
This wiki is a great place to find guides, overviews, and generally useful documentation on SSI projects. Many of the most current plans and docs are in the drive though.
The drive contains a lot of important documentation for each team. We are trying to put more emphasis on using the wiki as a place for longer-term knowledge storage. If you don't have access, ask in
We use SSI General for organization-wide announcements, and it's a good way to hear about events that get lost in the depths of slack (Slack is still by and large the primary mode of communication for most of us though).
End Station III (also known as ES3) can be considered the temple to SSI’s religion, the hub, nerve center, or kernel of all project activity. End Station III houses work sessions, team meetings, and project storage. Keycard access is required to access the building.
If you're ever feeling overwhelmed or lost about all the things going on in SSI, use this page to see what's what! Reach out to someone working on a project you're interested in and they'll help you get started. If you have questions or just want to chat, poke any leadership member.