Rockets Launch Procedure
This is what you need to do in order to launch a rocket with us. Note: SSI does subsidize a substantial portion of the cost to launch and build rockets.
(will link to things once google drive is fully organized)
- Be a member of SSI (pay your dues). Talk to your co-lead about how to do this.
- Complete EH&S safety trainings (you only need to do this once): 2200,1900, and 4200 (on Axess).
- Sign up on the SSI HPR Roster. The document exists in the SSI Google Drive.
- Become a member of either:
- Attend the intro to rocketry workshop. This will give you a brief overview of the fundamentals of high power rocketry and give you the tools to analyze and design your own rockets.
- Read and understand:
- the TRA safety documents
- the NAR High-Power Safety Code
- Complete the forms we ask of you:
- TRA Launch Liability Waiver Form
- NAR Launch Liability Waiver Form
- Emergency Contact Online Form
- Stanford Launch Waiver
- Stanford Assumption of Risk Form
- Pre-flight Rocket Approval Form
- If you are attempting to certify, fill out the correct form:
- TRA Certification Form
- NAR Certification Form
Once you've completed these steps, you only have to fill out an updated Launch Waiver and Pre-flight Approval Form per launch.
Build Your Rocket
If you've already achieved your L1 certification.
- Build it.
If you haven't built a rocket yet and are aiming for L1 certification:
- Attend a expoy session to learn how to use it and about personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Attend a build session to install your recovery system and finish any critical steps.
- Paint your rocket. We will provide you with spray paint, but feel free to get creative. (There will be no supervision for this part).
- Perform OpenRocket simulations for your rocket to:
- find your center of gravity and center of pressure. Mark these spots on your rocket.
- fill out your flysheet (link to flysheet)
- Go over the Pre-Launch Checklist.
You must finish building your rocket 24 hours prior to launch day, otherwise you will not launch.
- Let your rocket fly!
- Fill out the Post-Launch Reflection
You will not be allowed to fly with us again until you have filled this out.